Reverend Doctor Francis Russell Print Page
Chancel , memorial windows and brass lectern are memorials to Reverend Doctor Francis Russell who was the first minister of the church. The chancel was built in 1877 as a memorial to Rev. Dr Russell and in 1887 the height of the tower was extended and a set of eight carillon bells installed from John Warner & Sons London.
The Nativity, The Crucifixion and The Resurrection windows were memorials to Rev. Dr Russell donated by local merchant George Trangmar and manufactured by Melbourne firm Ferguson & Urie. The brass lectern, installed in the church in 1879, was presented by Samuel Pratt Winter as a memorial to Rev. Dr Russell.
In 1850 the Irish-born Reverend Dr Russell was sent by the Bishop of Melbourne to the District of Wannon, a large area stretching from Hamilton to the South Australian border extending to Heywood in the south and Chetwynd to the north. He was the first Anglican minister to be stationed so far inland and was responsible for establishing churches in Casterton, Merino, Henty, Digby, Branxholme, Hamilton and Coleraine.
The foundation stone for Holy Trinity Church, Coleraine was laid on 8 February 1865 by the Reverend Russell and the first service held on 4 November 1866.
|Address:||Church & Henty Streets, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Coleraine, 3315|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.603559|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Monument Designer:||Ferguson & Urie (Windows)|