Archdeacon Francis BoycePrint Page Print this page

Archdeacon Francis Boyce : 26-September-2012
Archdeacon Francis Boyce : 26-September-2012
Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A memorial tablet commemorates Archdeacon Francis Bertie Boyce who was Canon of St Andrew`s Cathedral and Archdeacon of West Sydney.

Francis Bertie Boyce (1844 – 1931) was an Australian clergyman and social reformer. His first parish was George's Plains near Bathurst, New South Wales, followed by Molong in 1873 and Orange from 1875. Boyce was a hard-working and enthusiastic country clergyman, he travelled many miles on horseback to reach his people; he also raised money to build churches where no church had been before. The church built at Orange cost £7000, had accommodation for 600 people, and few seats were vacant when Boyce was holding the service. In April 1882 he went to Pyrmont, an industrial area, and in 1884 to St Paul's, Redfern. He remained there for 46 years, was elected a canon of St Andrew's cathedral in December 1899, and in 1910 was appointed archdeacon of West Sydney.

He believed in old-age pensions, and on 9 September 1895 wrote to the Sydney Daily Telegraph advocating the appointment of a committee to inquire into and report on this question. Early in 1896 he called a meeting to form a pensions league. J. C. Neild had also been advocating the granting of pensions in parliament, and eventually a committee was appointed which recommended that pensions should be paid out of the public revenue. Boyce worked hard to keep the question before the public, but it was not until the end of the 19th century that pensions became law. The first pensions were paid on 1 July 1901.

Note: A bronze tablet was unveiled on the 24th August 1932 by his son Mr Justice Boyce in St. Paul`s Redfern, Sydney which is now the Greek Orthodox Cathedral. It is unknown by Monument Australia if this is the same tablet currently in St Andrew`s or an identical one which was unveiled around the same time. 



Address:George & Bathurst Streets, St Andrews Cathedral, Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.874006
Long: 151.206581
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Link: http://adb.anu.edu.au/


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1932
Front Inscription

       In Loving Memory
The Venerable Archdeacon
F.R.G.S., F.R. Hist. Soc. London
Canon of St Andrew`s Cathedral,
Archdeacon of West Sydney.  
Born at Tiverton, Devon, 6th April, 1844  
Died at Blackheath, 27th May 1931, aged 87.

Appointed Rector of St Paul`s in 1884, He Remained For 46
Years As The Faithful Minister Of This Parish. 

In 1874 he was organising missionary for the Church of England to the River Darling, on which journey he covered 2000 miles on horseback and he was the first clergyman of the Church of England to visit many centres in the far west.  After a strenuous life in the country where he was responsible for the building of a large number of churches, he came to Sydney in 1882. In that year he founded the New South Wales Alliance, of which he was President for 24 years.  He was President of the British Empire League and fathered the Empire Day Movement in Australia.  He was untiring in his work for the poor and organised the movement for Old Age Pensions.

He Was A Faithful Servant Of His Master, An Honoured Citizen And
A Deeply Beloved Minister And Friend.

"He Rests From His Labours."  
"With Christ Which Is Far Better"

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design