Sister Mary of Mt. Carmel CurtainPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the former Superioress of the Monastery who died in 1888.
The Convent of the Good Shepherd, Abbotsford, as a household word in Australia. Hence the good religious who dwell within its hallowed walls may find consolation in the knowledge that the sudden death of their revered Mother Prioress has awakened wide-spread sorrow and sympathy. It will, no doubt, interest the many friends of the convent (says the Melbourne Advocate) to learn a few particulars of the life and good works of the late Mother Prioress. She was the daughter of Mr. Daniel Curtain, a wealthy Irish farmer, and was born at Newcastle West, county Limerick, 31st October, 1835. Filled with the spirit of faith and piety inherited from her ancestors, she felt in early life a strong desire to consecrate herself to God in the religious state. Her pious parents encouraged her to follow the Divine call, and she was admitted into the mother house of the order at Angers, in France, in May, 1857, and under the name of Sister Mary of Mount Carmel made her religious vows, 19th July, 1858. Her first mission was to the convent of the order at Waterford, where she remained from 1860 to 1866.
Meanwhile, through the zealous exertions of the late Archbishop Goold, the order had been established at Abbotsford in 1863. After three years the community consisted of seven religious and three novices, a number quite insufficient for the work to be done. A pressing appeal for help was made to the mother house and to the Irish province. Amongst the many volunteers who offered themselves for the distant Australian mission, Sister Mary of Mount Carmel. and three others were chosen. They sailed for Australia in 1867, having for fellow-passengers the Most Rev. John Bede Polding, Archbishop of Sydney, and the well-known and deeply-venerated missionary apostolic, Rev. Duncan M'Nab, Sister Mary of Mount Carmel and her companions reached Melbourne on 31st July, 1867. After having filled various offices in the order, she was appointed Mother Prioress on 13th March, 1873, and she continued to hold the same office until her death.
Freeman's Journal (Sydney), 5 May 1888.
|Address:||St. Heliers Street, Abbotsford Convent, Good Shepherd Chapel, Abbotsford, 3067|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.801858|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
"Live Jesus and Mary"
Sacred to the memory of Sister Mary of Mt. Carmel Curtain
Superioress of the Monastery of Our Lady of Charity to the Good Shepherd who died 17th April 1888.
In the 53rd year of her age and the 29th of her religious profession
Requiescat in pace