Bishop Mathew HalePrint Page
A stained glass window and plaque commemorates Bishop Mathew Hale who was the first superintendent at the Poonindie Mission from 1850 to 1856.
Hale's observation of work among Aborigines and half-castes in Western Australia spurred his intention to help the natives in South Australia. In 1850 he persuaded Lieutenant-Governor Sir Henry Young to grant him £200 and a year's rations to found an institution where Aboriginals from Adelaide could receive practical training in isolation from corrupting influences. Boston Island was chosen as the site, but it lacked fresh water, so Hale bought the lease of Poonindie run, twelve miles (19 km) from Port Lincoln, and had it declared a native reserve. There natives were brought after schooling in Adelaide to be taught farming and to receive further instruction in Christianity. So successful was the venture that in 1853 Hale took over Pastor C. W. Schurmann's Aboriginal school in Port Lincoln and in exchange for a government grant of £1000 a year he agreed to receive any natives or half-castes sent to Poonindie by the protector of Aborigines.. Many material difficulties had been solved by Hale's personal generosity and by 1860, despite criticism of the high incidence of deaths from lung complaints, the institution had demonstrated the capacities of the Aborigines in useful employment.
This being the jubilee year of the church it was decided that the event be celebrated by an effort to commemorate the work of Bishop Hale, the founder of the Poonindie Natives Institution, and afterwards Archdeacon of Adelaide, and successively Bishop of Perth and Bishop of Brisbane. It was suggested that a memorial window be placed in the church, and that as the work of Bishop Hale was not confined to Poonindie, but reflected honour on the whole diocese, the subscription list should be open to all who desire to assist in perpetuating his memory.
The Register (Adelaide), 23 April 1901.
|Address:||Lincoln Highway, St Matthews Church, Poonindie, 5607|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.584283|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1850|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1856|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||Circa 1901|
To the Glory of God in memory of Bishop Hale, founder of the Poonindie Native Institution
St. Matthew`s Church
In loving memory of Archdeacon Mathew Blagden Hale (later Bishop of Perth 1857 and Brisbane 1875) who founded Poonindie Native Training Institute in 1850 and erected this building in 1854.
He loveth our nation and hath built us a synagogue