Simeon PearcePrint Page
The west end windows of St Jude's Church were erected in 1889 as a memorial to Simeon Pearce, the first trustee of St Jude's Church.
Simeon Pearce named the suburb Randwick after his native town in Gloucestershire. Before the church was built Mr Pearce used to have a divine service in his home and it was due principally to his and his brother's efforts that the church was built.
The name more closely associated with St. Jude's Church and the Borough of Randwick than any other is that of the late Mr. Simeon Henry Pearce, so appropriately named, the "Father of Randwick." He it was who built the first house in Randwick, a fine stone mansion, still in the possession of the family, and known as Blenheim. The name given to the borough and town was bestowed by him after his native village in the old country, and the present peal of bells, which sound so musically in the quiet hours of eventide, was acquired through his instrumentality, he being the donor of one of the bells, whilst other residents, at his solicitation, presented the remainder. A fine memorial window in the church serves to perpetuate the memory of this worthy man, and a tablet on one of the interior walls testifies to his great service as a Christian and citizen.
Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW), 10 November 1909.
|Address:||106-108 Avoca Street, St Jude`s Church, Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.9119|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1889|