Reverend Zachary BarryPrint Page
The contribution Reverend Barry made to the church congregation and wider community was honoured through the unveiling and dedication of a memorial window by the Lord Archbishop of Sydney, Archbishop Wright in 1914.
One of the most prominent and distinguished members of the Anglican Church in Australia passed away yesterday in the person of the Rev. Dr. Zachary Barry, who died at his residence, Toxeth-road, Glebe Point, at an advanced age. Dr. Barry, who was one of our foremost classical scholars, was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and came to Sydney during the term of office of Governor Belmore, some thirty years ago. He at once interested himself deeply in all affairs connected with the welfare of the people of the colony, notably matters relating to our system of education. He became one of the leading spirits cof the league which energetically and persistently advocated the introduction of free, compulsory, and secular education, to whose efforts is mainly due the existence of the present Public Instruction Act. In furtherance of its objects, the league carried on a crusade throughout the whole of the colony some twenty-seven or twenty-eight years ago, which eventually led to the desired legislation, and to the cessation of public money grants to the denominational schools. Dr. Barry was for many years secretary to the Irish Church Mission, a very important position in the church. Many years of his life were spent in church work in and around Paddington, where he is well-known and equally well respected. Some years ago, failing health rendered it necessary for him to retire from active service in the church, and his health has for some time past been gradually getting worse. The deceased was a very earnest and eloquent preacher, a brilliant lecturer, and an impressive platform orator. The funeral took place this morning, a large number of the reverend gentleman's friends following his remains to their last resting place in the Randwick Cemetery.
Evening News (Sydney), 6 October 1898.
Archbishop Wright conducted a special dedication service at St. Matthias' Church, Paddington, on Sunday. The occasion was the unveiling of four memorial windows, erected in memory of deceased workers, for the church and parish. The windows were erected to perpetuate the memory of the Rev. Dr. Zachary Barry, who was rector of St. Matthias' for 25 years, and Mrs. Barry, Mr. Gregory Board, and Mrs. Kemp, who were for many years stanch supporters of the church. A fifth window, to the memory of Mr. C. J. Ellis, is not yet completed.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 29 December 1914.
|Address:||471-475 Oxford Street, St Matthias Church, Paddington, 2021|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.889316|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th December, 1914|