Father Patrick Bernard Doyle Print Page
St Patrick's Church was named in memory of Father Patrick Doyle and a plaque notes that the bell tower is dedicated to him. The opening of the church and the dedication ceremony was performed by Father Doyle, assisted by Father Downey, on the 26th April 1914.
The first priest serving the church was Father Patrick Bernard Doyle and in 1915 title to the church land was placed in the names of Doyle and Bishop John Heavey.
Father Doyle was a deeply spiritual man who was held in great affection and respect by his parishioners. He was born in Ireland in 1874 and joined the order of Saint Augustine in 1893. In 1899 he came to serve in north Queensland as assistant priest, then parish priest, at Cairns. In 1906 he was appointed to Herberton where he stayed, with a return to Cairns for a year between 1908 and 1909, until his death in 1924. He served various churches in his parish, besides teaching and playing sport at the Sisters of Mercy school in Herberton.
|Address:||Penda Street & Mulgrave Road, St Patricks Catholic Church, Yungaburra, 4884|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.268613|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.