Canon Thomas JonesPrint Page
Chapel erected in memory of Canon Jones. On May 4th, 1924 the Canon Jones Memorial Chapel was consecrated and opened by Archbishop Sharp at the Church of England Grammar School, East Brisbane. The foundation stone had been laid on the 1st August 1923.
Canon Jones had been connected with the school from its beginning in Toowong in 1912, and was the first clergyman to visit the new school after its opening. Canon Jones was a pioneer of the Anglican Church in Queensland and was the first clergyman appointed to administer the spiritual needs of the people of Rockhampton.
With the object of arousing interest in the movement to provide a chapel at the Church of England Boys Grammar School in memory of the late Canon Jones, a meeting of the Canon Jones Memorial Committee was held in the Church House Ann-street, last night. The Archbishop of Brisbane (Dr Sharp), who presided, said that there were two reasons why he was pleased to attend. The first was because the movement was connected with the late Canon Jones who had done so much for the good of Christianity and the community generally. His second reason was because anything to do with schools and colleges appealed to him and the project of a chapel at the Church of England Grammar School was enough to entice him to the meeting. The boys themselves had shown their ardour by presenting a substantive cheque to the fund.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 18 February 1922.
The Canon Jones Memorial Chapel, is to be consecrated at the Church of England Grammar School in East Brisbane, at 3 30 p.m. on Sunday next, by his Grace the Archbishop of Brisbane. Friends of the late Canon Jones, as well as parents, old boys, and friends of the school, are cordially invited. The collection will be devoted to the Chapel Building Fund.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 30 April 1924.
|Address:||Oaklands Parade, Church of England Grammar School, East Brisbane , 4169|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.481678|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs H.W.Atkinson & A.H. Conrad (architects)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr T. Keenan (contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th May, 1924|