Father Thomas Hayes Print Page
Memorial tablet in honour of the first Pastor of St Francis Xavier Church .
Father Thomas Hayes, the first pastor, built the presbytery, erected a school and introduced the Sisters of Mercy.
Many of the readers of the "Queensland Times" will regret to learn of the death of the revered parish priest of the Goodna district, the Rev. T. V. Hayes, which sad event took place at an early hour yeaterday morning. He had not been in good health for some months. For 20 years the rev. gentleman had the oversight of the Roman Catholic parish of Goodna and Redbank Plains, prior to which he was a priest in Toowoomba. Of a cheerful and sociable disposition, he made a very wide circle of friends. He was very popular with all sections of the community in his own district, as well as with his many acquaintances in Brisbane, Ipswich, and Toowoomba, and other places. During his sojourn in Goodna a new Presbytery, a commodious and airy day school, and a convent have been erected in that township.
Queensland Times (Ipswich), 29 April 1911.
|Address:||6 Church Street, St Francis Xavier Church, Goodna, 4300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.610764|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.