Archdeacon William CowperPrint Page
Memorial tablet commemorates the long and faithful service of William Cowper (1778-1858), archdeacon.
Early in 1808 Reverend Samuel Marsden, in search of two additional chaplains, came to Cowper's parish in England and invited him to accept appointment. He was willing, and received a commission as an assistant chaplain in New South Wales at a salary of £260. He arrived in Sydney in 1809 and took up duties as minister of St Philip's Church, then being completed. For the first ten years of his ministry, he was the only clergyman permanently in Sydney.
He continued to direct the life of St Philip's parish almost to his death, but gave up the active duties of the parish to his assistants. He died on 6 July 1858 and was buried in the Devonshire Street cemetery. He was given a state funeral.
|Address:||3 York Street, St Philip`s Anglican Church , Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.864058|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.