Walter LawryPrint Page
The Walter Lawry Methodist Memorial Park was designated by the Parramatta City Council to commemorate the life and work of Walter Lawry (1793-1859), Methodist missionary.
Walter Lawry (1793-1859), was a Methodist missionary stationed in Parramatta from 1818. He built the first Methodist church in Parramatta at his own expense of £300, and it was dedicated on 20 April 1821. The following month he established a Sunday school, where he was able to gather regularly together some fifty young children, despite opposition from local clergy and church attendants. In 1825 he returned to England, where he continued his ministry until 1843 when he was appointed general superintendent of the missions in New Zealand for eleven years. In 1854 he retired because of ill health and returned to Parramatta, where he lived until his death, and was buried in this cemetery on 30 March 1859.
|Address:||2 Buller Street, Walter Lawry Methodist Memorial Park , North Parramatta, 2151|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.808294|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.