Reverend R. A. RedmondPrint Page
A window in former Presbyterian Church commemorates Reverend Redmond who instigated the establishment of a Presbyterian Church at Katoomba but died before the church was completed.
On 9 January 1911 a meeting in Katoomba declared that ‘the Presbyterian residents in Katoomba deem that the time has come for the establishment of a Presbyterian church’ and a committee of four was set up, consisting of the local minister, the Rev. R.A. Redmond, the prominent Katoomba doctor, Alexander Allan, J. Nimmo and L. Duff. Later in 1911 vacant land on the corner of Waratah and Lurline Streets was purchased and the local people decided to proceed to build a church.
Because the new building was not fully funded, it was not possible to name it the Redmond Memorial Church and the local people settled for a stained glass window in Redmond’s honour instead.
|Address:||56-64 Waratah Street, former Presbyterian Church, Katoomba, 2789|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.717298|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||F. Tarrant and Co. (Darlinghurst)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th January, 1914|