John Campbell Print Page
Memorial to John Campbell (1802-1886), merchant, politician and churchman.
John Campbell was more famous for his support of the colony's growing Church of England. He gave £10,000 to found the diocese of Riverina, contributed to the endowments of the bishopric of Goulburn and the see of Grafton and Armidale. He also enabled the bishopric of Fiji (Polynesia) to be founded. He was a parishioner of St Philip's, Sydney, to which he gave a peal of bells, and he supported many other parishes in Sydney and elsewhere. He built the chancel of St John's, Canberra, in memory of his father.
|Address:||170 Bourke Street, St Saviour`s Cathedral, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.753369|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.