Reverend Philip PalmerPrint Page
A marble tablet erected in the church by his parishioners in 1854 commemorates Reverend Philip Palmer.
Philip Palmer arrived in Hobart Town in 1833. Archdeacon William Grant Broughton limited his duties as rural dean to those of correspondence, the charge of Trinity and St John's, New Town, and services at the penitentiary and hospital.
In church development his greatest contribution was in the building of Holy Trinity Church and providing it with the first peal of bells in Australia. He died in 1853.
DEATH OF THE REVEREND PHILLIP PALMER, M.A. Under no circumstances could that consolation under bereavement, which Christianity only can impart, be more effectually and extensively experienced than in the event which the obituary of to-day assigns us the melancholy duty of recording. It is not for the dead, for those who "rest from their labours, and their works do follow them" that our sympathies are demanded. Attended by the prayers, the tears, the affections, and the faith of living relatives and devoted friends, has he, whose mortal frame alone remains to them, passed from a world which he has contributed to adorn, to that sphere whither it has been the object of a life, spent in the faithful service of His Master, to direct the footsteps of those whom it has been his lot to precede. Not only by his own immediate circle will the loss of the husband, the father, and the friend be most deeply and acutely felt, but the church, of which he was the minister ; the schools, to whose efficiency and support he was a zealous and sincere contributor; the poor, to whom he was an unfailing and generous benefactor, will all contribute to rear to his remembrance that most enduring of all monuments,-the love, veneration, and regret of grateful, devoted, and affectionate hearts. The funeral is appointed to take place on Thursday afternoon next, at 3 o'clock.
The Courier (Hobart), 24th May 1953.
|Address:||50 Warwick Street, Holy Trinity Church, North Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.876601|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1854|
Sacred to the memory of the Revd. Philip Palmer, M.A. 20 years Chaplain of Trinity Parish, Hobart Town and rural Dean.
Faithful and earnest in his masters`service. His ministrations were owned and blessed.
He died on the 21st of May 1853, aged 53 years.
This tablet is erected as a token of respect and affection by his parishioners