Thomas Quinton StowPrint Page
Memorial headstone erected by public subscription commemorates Thomas Quinton Stow, first Congregational minister in Adelaide.
In 1837 Reverend Stow arrived in Adelaide and began services in a tent on the Torrens where the railway station now stands. Later on a substantial building was erected in Freeman Street near Gawler Place.
Stow was responsible for forming many new churches and for recruiting and training several ministers. He was the first chairman of the Congregational Union of South Australia in 1850, and he did much to foster friendly relations between all denominations. He was appointed to the first board of education in 1846 and served on many other public committees, always ready to promote moral, social and intellectual progress.
When he died in 1862 he was mourned by the whole city.
|Address:||161 West Terrace , West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.933666|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.