Jane BarkerPrint Page
A pulpit commemorates Jane Barker who was a regular worshipper and constant worker for the Church.
Jane Barker was born in Burra in 1855 and lived in Burra until 1874 and then at Baldina before moving to Adelaide at the age of 64. Jane and her husband William were actively associated with the church.
St. Mary's Church was tastefully decorated with Iceland poppies and stocks and sweet daffodils at the base of the new pulpit for the service held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, 24th September for the purpose of Dedicating a Pulpit as a Memorial to Jane Barker who for many years was a regular worshipper and constant worker for St. Mary's Burra. The service was fairly well attended. Members of the Barker family were well represented. The Pulpit, designed by Dean Berry, is a tribute to South Australian craftsmanship and was made by Mr Colgate of Adelaide. Made in Borneo Cedar, the design is pleasing and in keeping with other woodwork in the Church.
Burra Record (SA), 26 September 1950.
|Address:||Market Street, St Mary, Burra, 5417|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.679044|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Monument Designer:||Dean Berry|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Colgate (Adelaide)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 24th September, 1950|