Patrick Maurice HaydonPrint Page
The Haydon Centre commemorates Patrick Maurice Haydon, the first pastor of St Christopher's parish, Canberra. A memorial to him was added to the Parish in 1962 when the Haydon Catholic Centre and Library was opened on the Cathedral site.
In December 1912 Patrick Haydon was appointed to Queanbeyan in the rural deanery as assistant to Fr. Matthew Hogan. His arrival coincided with the development of the Federal Capital Territory, marked by the official naming of Canberra on 12 March 1913. Haydon acquired a motorbike, visited work depots, and celebrated Mass under canvas at the Cotter River and in temporary huts at Westridge (Yarralumla) and Molonglo (Fyshwick).
On 30 January 1927 some five thousand people came to the site (at Parkes) which he had negotiated for a national cathedral and episcopal residence. At the gathering on 27 February 1928 he was appointed first pastor of St Christopher's parish, Canberra.
|Address:||55 Franklin Street, St Christopher`s Cathedral , Forrest, 2603|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.318306|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-1962|