Bishop Mesac ThomasPrint Page
A chapel commemorates the first Bishop, Mesac Thomas.
St Saviour's became the pro-cathedral for the Diocese of Goulburn in April 1864, when Bishop Mesac Thomas arrived to take charge of his diocese. Bishop Thomas’s diocese at first comprised nearly one quarter of the State of New South Wales.
From 1871, as the diocese was beginning to get on its feet, Bishop Thomas began to think positively about a cathedral. Here, and in England, he collected £37,000 of a total of £50,000 needed for the building. Construction of the Cathedral commenced in 1874 and was completed in 1884.
Great preparations are being made for the dedication of the chapel to the memory of the first Bishop of Goulburn, which is to be solemnly set apart on Sunday next by the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Newcastle who, it will be remembered, was present at the opening of Saviour's Cathedral. The chapel is situated at the north east of the Cathedral and will be in every way a most useful little place for daily worship classes &c. Several gifts have been made to the chapel.
The dedication service will be after the Nicene Creed at the eight o'clock celebration on Sunday morning, when a large number of communicants will be present, as it will be the corporate communion of the Bishop's Guild and the first communion of the newly confirmed. The Bishop of Newcastle will preach a sermon at the eleven o'clock service, and his Lordship will also preach at evensong. The altar, lectern, and prayer desk are the workmanship of Mr. Gilling and reflect great credit on him.
Goulburn Herald (NSW), 4 September 1903.
|Address:||170 Bourke Street, St Saviour`s Cathedral, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.753256|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 6th September, 1903|