www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Reverend George Henry ColePrint Page Print this page

Reverend George Cole : 08-December-2011
Reverend George Cole : 08-December-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A three paned stained glass window, erected by family and friends, commemorates the Reverend George Henry Cole (1859-1919), founding superintendent in 1903 of the Central Mission Boys’ Training Farm (later Tally Ho). The centre pane shows Pestalozzi, a 17th century benefactor of orphans in Switzerland, and a boy.

The Rev. G. H. Cole, who for the last 15 years has been the superintendent of the Methodist Central Mission Boys' Training Farm at Tally-Ho, near Burwood, died suddenly on Thursday night. About a month ago he sought medical advice owing to illness, which was then regarded as of a temporary nature. Mr. Cole, who was 59 years of age, had been a member of the ministry for 37 years. He was a native of Canlambo, and his early years were spent in this district. Originally he was a member of the Primitive Methodist Church, and was appointed to Lygon street in 1898. Before Methodist union had taken place, he joined with the late Rev. A. R. Edgar, of Wesley Church, in conducting the Central Methodist Mission. Mr. Cole's work among the boys grew to such an extent that in 1904 he— with Mrs. Cole — established the training farm at Burwood. He leaves a widow, one son and four daughters. There was a large muster of Methodist clergymen and laymen, as well as representatives of other denominations, at the funeral at the Burwood cemetery on Saturday afternoon. A preliminary service was conducted by the Rev. A. M'Callum and other ministers at the Central Mission Boys' Training Farm at Tally Ho. 
Benalla Standard (Vic), 15 July 1919.

In 1903, the Central Methodist Mission established a training farm on 39 acres of land in Burwood East, for boys coming into care via the courts. The farm also accepted private placements. The farm was a congregate care facility with large dormitories. In the 1930’s, it was run as a community with its own Parliament involving staff and boys. The farm had its own school.  In 1934, the farm moved towards cottage-style accommodation. 

Following the World War II, the created a cottage-based system to replace the original dormitories. The new 'boys village' was called Tally Ho. Seven cottages were located at various points on the land adjoining Highbury Road.

Location

Address:148 Lonsdale Street, Wesley Uniting Church, Melbourne, 3000
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.810195
Long: 144.968133
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1920
Front Inscription

[Across all windows]
"Inasmuch" 

To the Glory of God and in Memory of
REV. GEORGE HENRY COLE.  
Superintendent of the Central Mission Boys Training
Farm 1903-1919, who died July 11th, 1919, in the 60th
year of his age, and the 38th year of his ministry.

A member of the
Central Mission staff
for 21 years.  
Erected by his Widow, Children,
and friends in the Wimmera 1920.

A Friend
of the Children.  
Strong and Robust in character,
practical, tender-hearted and kind.  
A Successful Evangelist.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design