John ValentinePrint Page
Porch at the Presbyterian Church was erected in memory of John Valentine, an early preacher at the church who died in 1897.
The township of Berrigan, which started into existence about the year 1888, is in the centre of a large agricultural district. It formed, at first, part of the Jerilderie charge, but in 1894 it was constituted a separate parish. Various preachers were sent by the Home Mission Committee to supply ordinances, of whom Mr. John Valentine, student for the ministry, remained the longest and was most successful. It was through his efforts that the excellent brick church was built. His early death was much lamented, and a porch was added to the church at Berrigan as a Memorial.
Mr. John Valentine, for the last two years minister of the Berrigan Presbyterian Church, died at Egan Creek, Yerong, the residence of Mr. S. Stiles, on Friday morning last from a heavy cold settling on his weak lungs, after about a week's illness. In April, 1895, he took charge of Berrigan parish, and had been the minister until his death. The congregation had more than doubled in number, and through his efforts a brick church costing over £600 had just been built, and arrangements had been completed for the Rev. The Moderator of the Assembly to open the church on the first Sunday of next month. This event had been long looked forward to by Mr. Valentine, who together with his congregation at Berrigan had intended making a great success of the opening celebration. The people at Berrigan had rallied round him well, and between minister and people them seemed to be perfect harmony. Mr. Valentine seemed to be the leading spirit of the dis trict and was ready to enter into anything for a good cause, and whatever he did take up he made a success of. For some months past he had been a valued contributor to the press.
Excerpt from the Death of Mr. John Valentine,
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW), 11 June 1897.
Over £30 has been subscribed towards the John Valentine Memorial Fund, it being the intention of the committee to erect a porch in front of the locai Presbyterian Church.
Evening News (Sydney), 28 July 1897.
Note: This church is now a private residence.
|Address:||130-132 Chanter Street (Riverina Highway) , Former St John`s Church, Berrigan, 2712|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.656752|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.