Canon Thomas KemmisPrint Page
Stained glass window erected by the Old Boys of St Mark's Crescent School 1897 in memory of Canon Kemmis.
Canon Kemmis was appointed Rector of St Marks in 1864 and died in 1897 having spent 33 years at the parish.
By the death of Canon Kemmis, which took place yesterday, there has been removed from the ranks of the local clergy of the Church of England one of her foremost men, and, one which it will be a difficult matter to replace. For over 30 years he had been incumbent of St. Mark's, Darling Point, but his ministrations were by no means confined to that church. More than any other clergyman occupying a similar position, he was known not only through this colony, but all through the eastern colonies of Australia, and, although he was credited with High Church tendencies, yet his preaching proclaimed him a man singularly broad in his views. As an orator he was distinguished. His commanding presence, strong and regular features, his deep sonorous voice, which had been so trained as to be modulated to any tone, and his graceful gesture, all lent their powerful aid to this faculty. As an elocutionist he was equally popular, and his public readings here some years ago always drew large audiences.
In 1858 he was ordained deacon, and two years later priest being the first duly ordained clergyman to be educated by the college. In the same year Canon Kemmis married the oldest daughter of Archdeacon Gunther late of Mudgee, and till 1863 was incumbent at St Clement’s, Yass. In the following year he was appointed incumbent of St Mark’s, Darling Point, and continued there till his death. In 1885 he was appointed canon of St Andrew’s Cathedral, and recently he was made a chaplain to the Primate. The deceased gentleman was also a Fellow of St Paul's College within the University of Sydney. At one time he was secretary of the Clergy Widows and Orphans Fund, and was connected with the Australian Churchman.
Excerpt from Sydney Morning Herald, 25 March 1897.
|Address:||Darling Point Road & Greenoaks Avenue, St Mark`s Anglican Church, Darling Point, 2027|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874532|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1864|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1897|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1897|