Reverend T. C. EwingPrint Page
Marble tablet erected by parishioners to the memory of Reverend Ewing, incumbent of the parish for 36 years, who died in 1893 at the age of 74.
The Rev. T. C. Ewing (late Rural Dean at Wollongong) passed over to the great majority at his residence, Lewisham, Sydney, last Tuesday morning. The sad event was not altogether unexpected, as the deceased gentleman had been recently in a delicate state of health, and confined to his bed for several days. Indeed, so seriously did those about him think of his condition that the members of his family who lived at a distance were summoned in good time. The late Rev. T. C. Ewing's name is a household word in the Illawarra district. He was beloved by all classes and denominations, and justly so, for he was in every sense a man and a Christian. His benevolence knew no bounds, and his energy in the prosecution ot his ministerial work was inimitable. He was 76 years of age, and until quite recently was an exceedingly active man. He was a native of Glasgow, and came to this colony with the late Dr. Lang. In 1864 he went to Wollongong to take charge of the parish, and remained there for about 36 years, only having relinquished the charge some 18 months ago. The deceased gentleman's family numbered in all 14, ten of whom are still living, many being resident in the Wollongong district, and the majority of them were with him in his last moments.
Shoalhaven News and South Coast Districts Advertiser (NSW),
15 July 1893.
|Address:||Market & Church Streets, St Michael`s Anglican Cathedral, Wollongong, 2500|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.423754|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.