Tilly StevensonPrint Page
Stained glass window erected by the Trustees of the Methodist Church, commemorates Tilly Stevenson, an honorary organist of the church who was tragically electrocuted in 1923.
Grim tragedy won the summit of life's most unapproachable stronghold when, at 9 o'clock on Thursday night, he enveloped in his dark shrouds the beautiful form of one of Temora's best known, and most esteemed young ladies in the person of Miss Matilda Rachael Allison Stevenson (only daughter of Mr and Mrs A. A. Stevenson, of Temora), (says the Temora "Independent.") Imbued with the spirit of work for the Master, she, in company with Miss Stella King had visited the power station ostensibly for the purpose of procuring some waste wire with which to make up flowers to decorate the stall which the Methodist Young People's Club are conducting for the forthcoming fair. Noticing a pair of pliers on the wall at the back of the switch board, it is surmised that she made an effort to take hold of them, and stumbling forward struck her hand on the bus bars, which carried a 500 voltage, receiving thereby the full force of the current. Mr C. H. Chapman, who was also in the power house at the time, heard a scream and, with bare hands, tried to release the deceased by the wrists, but he too became affected by the current thus both were held prisoners. The screams of Miss King brought Mr Stevenson (father of deceased who is the engine driver) on the scene and he immediately removed his vest and wrapping it around his hands, thereby forming a non-conductor, was able to remove both his daughter and Mr Chapman from the awful position. Medical aid was immediately summoned, and the doctor arrived on the scene within three minutes. Miss Stevenson was unconscious, and was removed to the District Hospital, where she died a few minutes later. Mr Chapman was prostrated with shock for a short time. Thus ends the earthly career of one whose life, though particularly short, has been none the less complete, for with Lindsay Gordon, we can say, "She lived and made the most of every day."
Firstly, a Christian girl of independent spirit and resourcefulness, who used her leisure hours in pious endeavor to further Christ's Kingdom on earth. Secondly, a most loving and dutiful daughter, who ever sought to comfort her parents, and thirdly, a trusted servant who, through her intergrity and honest attention to duty and interest in her employers business, had become the right hand support of Mr Robert Speirs in whose jewellery establishment she had been employed for the past seven years as an assistant. During the past five years, the late Miss Stevenson (who was in her 26th year) had filled the position of honorary organist at the local Methodist Church, and had been closely associated with every movement connected with that church from both a religious and social standpoint, whether teaching in the Sunday school, playing the organ- assisting in the Glee Club, or playing tennis on the Church courts. She had in every way proved an active factor of Church life, so that the loss to her home and Church is inexpressible.
Wyalong Advocate and Mining, Agricultural and Pastoral Gazette (NSW), 4 September 1923.
|Address:||Deboos & Polaris Streets, Temora Uniting Church, Temora, 2666|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.442537|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.