Reverend Coles ChildPrint Page
A white marble tablet erected by former parishioners and friends commemorates Reverend Coles Child who died in 1898 at the age of 81. Reverend Child was incumbent of the parish (1853-1870) and later Canon of Christ Church and Archdeacon of Newcastle.
In 1853, he was appointed to Scone in succession to Reverend John Morse, M.A., who had died in 1852 and whose daughter, Mary Ann Susan, Child married in 1853. The parish included the Upper Hunter and its tributaries and crossed the Liverpool Range. The northern part with its centre at Murrurundi became a separate parish in 1857. Child also developed the centres which in 1884 became the parish of Gundy.
In 1870 he was moved to Morpeth. There he paid special attention to church buildings in the township and in the outside centres of Woodville and Hinton, and to the work of church schools until these gave way to state schools in the 1870s. He retired from Morpeth in 1886 to live in Petersham. Child's main contribution was in the field of diocesan organization. Appointed a canon of the Newcastle pro-Cathedral in 1866, he became the senior clergyman in ecclesiastical rank.
|Address:||Liverpool & Hill Streets, St Luke`s Anglican Church, Scone, 2377|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.050416|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs Patton Bros. (Sydney)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 27th February, 1899|
To the Memory
The Revd Coles Child, B.A.
of St John`s College, Cambridge.
Incumbent of this parish
from 1855 to 1870,
and afterwards Canon
of Christ Church,
and Archdeacon of Newcastle,
in this Diocese.
This Tablet is erected by former
Parishioners and Friends at Scone.
Entered into rest 20th August 1898
Aged 81 years.