John King LethbridgePrint Page
Stained glass window erected by friends and relatives to the memory of John King Lethbridge.
John's name appears on the church records of St Mary Magdalene where for about 40 years, he was Church Warden as well as being a synod representative and one of the church Trustees.
At the time of his death in May, 1900 he was also noted as being the oldest magistrate in the district. His funeral was one of the largest seen in the district with over 300 mourners, including about 70 vehicles and fifty horseman. He is laid to rest in the graveyard of the St Mary Magdalene Church along with his wife, who died in 1902.
On Saturday afternoon in St. Mary Magdalene Church, St. Marys, a window to the memory of the late Mr. John King Lethbridge was formally unveiled by his Grace the Archbishop of Sydney, Dr. Saumarez Smith. There was a large congregation, the church being comfortably filled. The service commenced at 3.30 p.m., the ordinary evening service being gone through. The Rev. John Dixon, the Archbishop's chaplain, read the special lessons. The Archbishop gave an address appropriate to the occasion. The window is a very handsome and expensive one, of stained glass. On it is portrayed a representation of Christ (a copy of Holman Hunt's famous picture now in Keble College, Oxford University), under which appear the words, "The Light of the World." The work was carried out by P. Ashwin & Co., 314 Pitt Street, Sydney, and has given every satisfaction to all concerned. The window is 10ft. 7in. by 4ft. 4in and is made of rich mosaic antique, and cathedral glass, being composed of between 200 and 300 pieces.
Nepean Times, 4 May 1901.
|Address:||Magdalene Street & Great Western Highway, St Mary Magdalene Anglican Church, St Marys, 2760|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.770406|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||P Ashwin & Co (Sydney)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 4th May, 1901|