Edward Charles ClosePrint Page
The East window was installed in 1871 to commemorate Edward Charles Close who died on May 7th, 1866. Bishop Tyrrell designed the window and glass was made in England by a team of glaziers paid for by inhabitants of the district in memory of the builder of St James Church.
Edward Charles Close (Senior) (1790 – 1866) was a British soldier, engineer, New South Wales colonial magistrate, member of the New South Wales Legislative Council and early European settler in Morpeth.
Lieutenant Edward Close promised God that if he survived the Spanish Peninsular War he would build a church as an act of thanksgiving. Close survived, and the foundation stone of St James church was laid on January 2, 1837. The construction of sandstone walls, using locally quarried stone lined with handmade bricks, was carried out over a three year period. The church was completed in 1840 and consecrated on December 31, with St. James as its' Patron, by William Broughton, the first Bishop of Australia.
|Address:||Tank & High Streets, St James Church, Morpeth, 2321|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.727043|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Bishop Tyrrell|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1871|