Thomas William HeaydonPrint Page
A plaque unveiled in 1910 commemorates Mr. Thomas William Heaydon.
Mr. Heaydon was one of the oldest members of the Methodist church in Dubbo, and drew the plans and superintended the building of the church. Dubbo's first Methodist Church (1875) is now the Sunday school hall of the Uniting Church, which was built as a Methodist church in 1888.
At the conclusion of the afternoon school at the Methodist Church on Sunday the scholars, together with a number of members of the congregation, gathered in the church for the purpose of unveiling a tablet which has been erected to the memory of the late Mr. T. W. Heaydon, who was for many years one of the most valuable members the church has had in Dubbo. After singing and prayer, the Rev. P. J. Curwood briefly addressed those present. He remarked that it was exactly twelve months ago that day that Mr. Heaydon passed away, and in the interim an effort had been very quietly made to celebrate his memory. Mr. Heaydon was one of the oldest Methodists in Dubbo-Mr. Curwood believed Mr. J. Carr was actually the oldest Methodist here. During his long, life in Dubbo Mr. Heaydon was a force for good and for all that was up-lifting. He was superintendent of the Sunday School for many years, and the erection of the tablet was largely a Sunday School movement. He had frequently occupied the pulpit there and in other churches, and he had taken a keen interest in the affairs of the Methodist Church. He designed and superintended the erection of the present church, and did it without any charge -an important and generous contribution, and a monument now to his industry, skill and taste. It was thought that a tablet was the most fitting and feasible method of marking his memory. No subscriptions had been solicited, and the movement had been an entirely spontaneous one.
Mr. Curwood then proceeded to unveil the tablet, and the short service concluded with the Benediction. The tablet, which is of marble, is not large, but it is neat and tasteful, and it is placed in the transept in which Mr. Heaydon had his sitting for nearly a quarter of a century. Its inscription reads, "Erected in memory of Thomas William Heaydon, one of the founders, senior trustee and architect of this church, who fell asleep 26th June, 1909. Aged 69 years," and this is surmounted by the words, "God is love." The tablet was the work of Mr. W. Larcombe, upon whom it reflects credit.
The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate (NSW), 29 June 1910.
|Address:||Church Street, Methodist Church Hall, Dubbo, 2830|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.247222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr W Larcombe|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 24th June, 1910|
God Is Love
Erected In Memory Of Thomas William Heaydon,
One Of The Founders, Senior Trustee And Architect Of This Church,
Who Fell Asleep 26th June, 1909.
Aged 69 Years