Professor John SmithPrint Page
Plaque erected by a few of his Sabbath scholars and friends in memory of Professor John Smith who died in 1885.
As foundation professor of chemistry and experimental physics in the University of Sydney, Smith arrived on 8 September 1852 in the Australian and set up his laboratory at the Sydney College, Hyde Park. On 25 March 1853 he was appointed to the National Board of Education, and served conscientiously during criticism of its policies towards denominational schools. He contributed to the reforms embodied in (Sir) Henry Parke's Public Schools Act of 1866, was appointed to the new Council of Education, and was president nine times before its demise in 1880.
In the 1860s Smith served on the committees of several religious organizations, also as a vice-president of the Young Men's Christian Association and as honorary treasurer of the Sydney Infirmary and Dispensary in 1866-67.
|Address:||197 Macquarie Street, St Stephen`s Uniting Church, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.867407|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1888|