Cardinal John Henry NewmanPrint Page
A stained glas window erected by public subscription commemorates Cardinal John Henry Newman.
John Henry Newman, C.O. (21 February 1801 – 11 August 1890), also referred to as Cardinal Newman and Blessed John Henry Newman, was an important figure in the religious history of England in the 19th century. He was known nationally by the mid-1830s. He left the Anglican church and converted to Roman Catholicism (1845), eventually being granted the rank of Cardinal by Pope Leo XIII. His beatification was officially proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI on 19 September 2010 during his visit to the United Kingdom.
A very handsome stained-glass window, in memory of his Eminence the late Cardinal John Henry Newman, has been placed in position in St. Mary's Cathedral in the Chapel of the Irish Saints, and immediately above the last resting-place of the late Archbishop Polding, the pioneer Bishop of Australia. The window was the design of Messrs. Hardman and Co., of Birmingham, England. In choosing a subject for illustration, it naturally waa desirable to select one that would bear some significant allusion to the distinguished oratorian and convert to the Catholic Faith. The thought thus occurred that the beautiful and widely-known sacred lyric, "Lead Kindly Light," composed by him, might fittingly be made the key-note of the memorial. The light of life, of truth, and of faith, is, therefore, the theme and motive of the work.
Excerpt from Catholic Press (Sydney), 7 June 1902.
|Address:||College Street, St Marys Cathedral, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.871528|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||June-1902|