Reverend Robert ForrestPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates Reverend Robert Forrest the first headmaster of the King's School, Parramatta in the early 1840's. He was also an assistant minister of St John's (with responsibility for the Christians meeting on the north side of Parramatta River).
Reverend Robert Forrest, was appointed headmaster of King's School Parramatta in 1831. Forrest was paid a salary of £100 per annum, but it was inclusive of a land and housing grant. From fees of £28 and £8 per annum for boarders and day pupils respectively he was expected to maintain boarders and pay the salaries of his assistants, whose fees were £4 per annum for each pupil taught. According to an article in the Australian Historical Society Journal in 1903, enrolment reached over 100 pupils before the end of the first year.
By 1839, Forrest's health had deteriorated and he submitted his resignation. In 1848 Forrest returned to the school, which had now had 60 pupils, but he was again forced to resign due to illness in September 1853.
|Address:||Victoria Road & Elizabeth Street, All Saints Church, North Parramatta, 2151|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.809494|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.