Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillopPrint Page
The Mary MacKillop Heritage Centre commemorates Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop’s life and work and the contribution of the Sisters of St Joseph to Australian culture.
The Heritage centre was formerly St Joseph`s Providence which was run by the Sisters of St Joseph`s who provided accommodation for working girls.
The Mary MacKillop Museum tells the story of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop, her life and work and the work of the Sisters of St Joseph. Particular emphasis is given to Victoria, as Mary was born and raised in Melbourne and spent her early life with her family in Victoria.
At the age of twenty four Mary with Fr. Julian Tenison Woods founded the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph in Penola, South Australia. This was the beginning of her dream to dedicate her life to the service of God and the poor. Mary later returned to Victoria with members of her congregation in the 1890’s.
Mary MacKillop was Canonised on October 17, 2010 at St Peter's Basilica, Rome. Pope Benedict XVI proclaimed Mary's sainthood during the Canonisation Mass. Over 8000 pilgrims from Australia and New Zealand attended the ceremony.
|Address:||362 Albert Street, Mary MacKillop Heritage Centre, East Melbourne , 3002|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.809771|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 9th November, 2007|
Mark Mackillop Heritage Centre
Mark Mackillop Heritage Centre was blseed by His Grace Archbishop Denis Hart and opened by Sr. Katrina Brill
Congregational Leader & Sr. Anne Tuck Province Leader
November 9th 2007.