Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillopPrint Page
A park commemorates Australia's first saint, Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop. Mary MacKillop established a small Catholic school in the Ipswich suburb of Redbank Plains in 1874. The school closed in 1877 after the student population dwindled to eight. The building which housed the original school at Redbank Plains was moved to Goodna in 1916 and is now a heritage listed solicitor's office.
Mary Helen MacKillop (15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909) was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Tenison Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. Since her death she has attracted much veneration in Australia and internationally.
MacKillop is the only Australian to have been beatified (in 1995 by Pope John Paul II). On 17 July 2008, Pope Benedict XVI prayed at her tomb during his visit to Sydney for World Youth Day 2008. On 19 December 2009, Pope Benedict XVI approved the Church's recognition of a second miracle attributed to her intercession. It was announced on 19 February 2010 that her canonisation is due to be formally declared on 17 October 2010 making her the first Australian saint. After her canonisation she will be known as Saint Mary of the Cross.
|Address:||Leon Capra Drive, Mary McKillop Park, Augustine Heights, 4300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.656389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 17th October, 2010|