Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop & Father WoodsPrint Page Print this page

Mary MacKillop Memorial School and Interpretive Centre : 29-November-2012
Mary MacKillop Memorial School and Interpretive Centre : 29-November-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Interpretive Centre and the Schoolhouse commemorate the lives of Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop and Julian Tenison Woods with displays, photographs, artefacts and historical reflections.

Mary MacKillop was the founder and Superior of the Sisters of St Joseph. The Sisters were to live in poverty and dedicate themselves to educating poor children.

MacKillop was excommunicated by Bishop Sheil on 22 September 1871 for alleged insubordination; most of the schools were closed and the Sisterhood almost disbanded. The excommunication was removed on 21 February 1872.

In journeys throughout Australasia she established schools, convents and charitable institutions but came into conflict with those bishops who preferred diocesan control of the Sisterhood. Always regarded as holy, she was put forward in 1972 as a candidate for the honour of beatification and canonization and on 1 February 1973 the Cause was formally introduced.



Address:Portland Street, Mary MacKillop Penola Centre, Penola, 5277
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.380211
Long: 140.839422
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design