William BedfordPrint Page
Memorial erected by public subscription commemorates William Bedford, a senior chaplain of St. Davids Cathedral.
William Bedford (1781?-1852), replaced Rev. Robert Knopwood as minister at St David's Church. As senior chaplain his duties required much travel. He made at least one annual trip into the inland districts, was chiefly responsible for creating all the Anglican congregations in the colony and supported the subscriptions for building most of the churches in the south. For nearly thirty years he conducted weekly services and prayers at St David's, the gaol and the prisoners' barracks, without permanent help for most of the time. He maintained a lively interest in prisoners and gave much time to condemned men, earning Lieutenant-Governor (Sir) George Arthur's praises for his sincerity and devotion.
|Address:||Davey Street, St Davids Park, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.885831|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1853|
Underneath are deposited the remains of WIlliam Bedford D.D. Senior Chaplain and for thirty years Pastor of St Davids Hobarton. Born 6th March 1781 Died 2d Dec 1852
He was zealous in the discharge of his duties kind hearted Hospitable and Charitable an affectionate Husband a good Father and a Sincere Friend
This monument is erected as a mark of respect for his memory by public subscription in the year of our Lord 1853