William HendersonPrint Page
Plaque commemorates William Henderson (1826-1884), clergyman. St Andrew's Kirk is significant in its association with the Reverend Henderson and the presence of black bands in the church spire provide a permanent record of his death.
On his arrival in Australia , Henderson was immediately inducted to the charge at Williamstown and in 1857 was called to Ballarat. Very popular amongst his congregation, the Roman Catholic poor and the Lutheran miners to whom he preached in German, he was sharply criticized by more orthodox Presbyterian clergy and laymen who objected to his activities in the sporting and social life of the youth of Ballarat. He held a commission in the volunteer militia and never hesitated to speak out on political issues. In 1864 he was a founder of Ballarat College where he convened the committee for five years and was a visiting lecturer.
|Address:||Sturt & Dawson Streets, St. Andrew`s Kirk, Ballarat, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.560833|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
William Henderson founder and for twenty six years the faithful Minister of the church died on the 22nd July A. D. 1884. This tablet is erected by the congregation of St. Andrew's Kirk in loving remembrance of their Minister. He was a good soldier of Christ Jesus and a man greatly beloved.