Retta Dixon & Amelia ShankletonPrint Page
Commemorates two missionaries, Retta Dixon and Amelia Shankleton who worked at the Retta Dixon Home which was an institution for Aboriginal girls.
Miss Retta Dixon took up the ministry in 1896. By 1899 work had spread to four other centres and the New South Wales Aborigines Mission was formed. In 1905 Retta Dixon moved to the Singleton district in the Hunter Valley, where a local committee formed the Aborigines Inland Mission of Australia. Opportunities for ministry and numbers of workers expanded rapidly and AIM was soon reaching out to many parts of NSW. By 1909 Retta Dixon had married Leonard Long and, following a survey of the needs, the Australian Inland Mission had commenced work in Queensland, with a centre established at Herberton in the far north. During the 1930s AIM began work in the "Top End" of the Northern Territory.
The Retta Dixon Home was established at Karu Park by Retta Dixon and her husband Leonard Long after World War Two..
|Address:||Bagot & Totem Roads, Karu Park, Coconut Grove, 0810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.402778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In memory of Retta Dixon who in 1905 established the Aborigines Inland Mission in NSW and of the children who lived on this site in the childrens home named after her
And In memory of Amelia Shankleton who as a missionary joined the Aborigines Inland Mission in NSW and worked at Cherbourg, Kahlin, Balaklava South Australia and Bagot.
She assisted in the supervision of the Retta Dixon Home on this site from its opening in 1961 until its closure in 1980. She died in 1990 and is buried at the Darwin General Cemetery.