John FlynnPrint Page
A grave contains the ashes and commemorates pioneer churchmen and founder of the Flying Doctor Service, the Reverend John Flynn.
In 1912 Flynn was commissioned to undertake a survey of the needs of both the Aboriginal people and European settlers of the Northern Territory. His detailed reports resulted in the creation by the Presbyterian Church of its Australian Inland Mission (AIM), of which Flynn was appointed Superintendent. The Mission, which commenced operation with one nursing hostel, a nursing sister and a padre, had by 1926, under Flynn`s leadership, become a network of ten strategically placed nursing hostels operating closely with patrol padres.
Keenly aware of the isolation of the people of inland Australia, he believed that a `mantle of safety` could be created for the isolated communities of Northern Australia only with the establishment of an aerial medical service and the introduction of radio communications. Despite many setbacks and considerable opposition, Flynn`s vision became a reality on the 17th May 1928 when the first flying doctor flew from Cloncurry to Julia Creek to answer the first call received by the AIM Aerial Medical Service.
Four cranes on Wednesday afternoon converged at the spot where the ashes of Dr. John Flynn —Flynn of the Inland — are buried, and lifted into position over his grave a huge natural granite monolith. Weighing eight tons, the monolith was carted 260 miles. It has been erected on a quartzite base on a hillock beside the Hermannsburg road in the shade of Mount Gillen.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 14th August 1953.
|Address:||Larapinta Drive, Alice Springs, 0870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.697778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Beneath this stone Rests the ashes of `Flynn of the Inland'
The Very Reverend John Flynn OBE DD
First Superintendent (1912-51) Of the Australian Inland Mission
Founder of the Flying Doctor Service
Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church (1939-42)
`He brought gladness and rejoicing to the wilderness and the solitary places`
The ashes of Mrs. Jean Blanch Flynn 1894 - 1976 were laid to rest in this palce beside those of her husband Rev. Dr. John FLynn, on 14th November 1976.
She was the esteemed helpmate and encourager of Flynn of the Inland and his fellow workers in their battle for a brighter bush