Robert KnopwoodPrint Page
The tomb is a memorial to the Reverend Robert Knopwood, MA, who as the first chaplain of Van Diemans Land played an integral part in the social and religious history of the local community and the formation of the Anglican community in that State.
The tomb has a stucco base with stone obelisk and iron railing surroundings. It records the date of the Reverend Robert Knopwood`s death in September 1838. Knopwood who arrived in the colony in 1804, was the first Anglican chaplain in Van Diemans Land. The first service was held in Rokeby in 1821.
Although he worked for the building of a church at Rokeby, it was not until after his death that St Matthews Church, designed by the architect James Blackburn, was built on a site adjacent to the Knopwood tomb.
|Address:||20 North Parade, St Matthews Church of England, Rokeby, 7019|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.899472|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Robert Knopwood A M
Obiit XVIII Sept
A D MCCCXXXVIII
Aetatis SWE LXVII
Presbyter Primvs Coloniovs Fvit
Et Vna Cvm Preside Collins Adinsvlam
Feb A D MDCCIV Advenit
In amiticia constans renicnvso
Svmma intecritate et sedvesima benevolentia
Miseris Svccvrrerre et conditionem afflictorum
Sacred to the memory of the Revd Ropert Knopwood A M who died 18 September 1838 Aged 77 years
He was the first colonial chaplain in Van Diemens Land having arrived in Feb 1804 with Lieut Governor Collins
He was a steady and affectionate friend. A man of great integrity and active benevolence ever ready to relieve the distressed and to ameliorate the condtion of the afflicted.
This monument was erected by an obliged and grateful friend as a mark of her respect.