Reverend Charles PricePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The Price Memorial Hall commemorates Minister Charles Price who formed a Congregational Church on 26 October 1836 and the Tamar Street Chapel which opened on 6 September 1837. Price, who had established a grammar school in 1836, drew no stipend from the church until its building debts were settled in 1850.

There was early disruption of the congregation when Reverend John West arrived in 1839 and drew away half the members to form a second church, but Price maintained an effective ministry for fifty-five years. He added chapels at Vincent Street (1848) and Inveresk (1858) to his pastorate. His qualities of leadership led to his election four times as chairman of the Tasmanian Congregational Union, and as the first president of the Congregational Union of Australasia.

The inscription was placed in a bottle and placed under the foundation stone.


Address:Tamar Street, near City Park , Launceston, 7250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.433997
Long: 147.1421949
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Monument Designer:A E Lutterell
Monument Manufacturer:Messrs McEwan & Son


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 4th October, 1895
Front Inscription

This hall is erected for the glory of God, and called the "Price Memorial" , expressive of the long, useful labours of the late Rev. Charles Price, who for 56 years was the faithful pastor of the first Independent Church in Launceston.

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design