Newland Memorial Congregation ChurchPrint Page
Newland Memorial Congretional Church is named in honour of Reverend Ridgeway Newland and his family who arrived in Encounter Bay with 34 settlers. The church replaces the original memorial church which was erected in 1868 and is now the Uniting Church Hall. The foundation stone for the church was laid on Easter Saturday 1927.
Selected by the Colonial Missionary Society to form a settlement in South Australia, Ridgeway Newland sailed in the Sir Charles Forbes with some thirty colonists, including his second wife, who cared for her three young children and five of Newland`s first marriage.
The party arrived in Adelaide in June 1839 and went on ithe "Lord Hobart" to Encounter Bay, where a large area of land was taken up. Newland was also the unpaid pastor of the south, riding long distances to preach and minister to scattered settlers. His chapel at Encounter Bay was opened in 1846, and other places of worship were established by him. Returning from one preaching visit to Adelaide and Willunga, his coach capsized and he was fatally injured. He died on 9 March 1864. He was buried in a vault beneath the pulpit of his chapel and later reinterred in the Victor Harbor cemetery.
Tenders have been accepted for the erection of a new church as Victor Harbour, to be called the Newland Memorial, in honor of the Newland family who have been prominently identified with the town for several generations. The successful tenderer was Mr. F. R. Fricker, of Queenstown, at £8,200 and he expects to have the building finished in eight or nine months. The foundation stone will be laid early in the new year.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 3 December 1926.
The commodious new church at Victor Harbour will be opened at 2.45 p.m. on Saturday by Dr. H.S. Newland. A dedication service will be held at 3pm. On Sunday special services will be conducted the pastor and the chairman of the Congregational Union.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 20 October 1927.
|Address:||Victoria Street, Victor Harbor, 5211|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.555975|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr F R Fricker|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th April, 1927|
The Newland Memorial Congregational Church
To the glory of God and in memory of the Reverend R. W. Newland and his son Simpson Newland C.M.G.