www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Reverend Robert Murray Print Page Print this page

Monument erected by the citizens of Williamstown over the grave of Reverend Robert Murray of the Cecil Street Presbyterian Church. Reverend  Murray died in 1915. 

Mr Murray was 52 years of age and a native of Fochabers, Elgin, Morayshire. He was educated at Milne's Institute, Fochabers, and graduated at Aberdeen University, distinguishing himself in the classics. After coming to Victoria in the eighties, he was occupied for some time as a private tutor and also as classical master at Scotch College, in the Theological hall of which he qualified for the Ministry. His first ministerial work was assistant to Rev. W. Dickie, of Colac, and he was afterwards appointed first minister of the parish of Morwell, Gippsland. From Morwell he went to Wycliffe, in the Western district, and from there received a call as successor in Williamstown to Rev. John Clark. The Cecil Street Presbyterians are pretty constant in their attachment to their ministers. Mr Murray held the position of pastor for 20 years and Mr Clark for a longer period.
Excerpt from Williamstown Advertiser (Vic), 16 October 1915. 

Location

Address:Champion Road, Williamstown Cemetery, Williamstown, 3016
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.853093
Long: 144.880704
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Grave
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th October, 1916
Source: VMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design