Reverend Barnabas WalkerPrint Page
Reverend Walker was ordained in 1854 and was the first Minister appointed to Pentridge (later Coburg) and his circuit included the sparsely populated Eltham, Research, Kangaroo Ground, St. Andrews, Healesville, Marysville and Lilydale areas.
He was a man of huge energy and capacity, attributes which were to lead to an early death. He was instrumental int the completion of St Philips in Hoddle Street Collingwood and in 1875 he then applied his energies to the then dwindling parish of St. Matthew’s, High Street, Prahran.
He was instrumental in the construction of that Church on its present site which necessitated a change in State legislation. The workload was too much for him and upon announcing the Hymn “All Glory, Laud and Honour” from the pulpit on Palm Sunday on 14 April 1878, he collapsed and died within hours aged 45. Parishioners erected a handsome “Malmsbury bluestone” memorial.
|Address:||Dandenong Road, St Kilda Cemetery, Church of England B158, St Kilda, 3182|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.86|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Brown (Carlton)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1878|