Charles Lovatt Print Page
A bell commemorates the English priest Charles Lovat who was, practically speaking, the first permanent priest at Yass.
Reverend Charles Lovat (Pastor of Yass 1839-1849) came, with excellent testimonials to Sydney on the 4th December 1837 on the ship "Hindoo". There he was appointed President of St Mary's College seminary. Bishop Polding called Fr. Lovat to accompany him on some missionary tours to the interior of the colony and he became known for a valuable ministry about Bathurst. He was with Bishop Polding in August 1838 when the foundation stone of St Augustine's Yass was laid. Fr Lovat was the inspiration behind the building of the original portion of old St Augustine's Church between1840-1844. Father Lovat died in 1858.
When Reverend McAlroy erected a tower in 1859 on the old St Augustine`s church built by Lovat, he initiated the idea of a bell, but the completion of the project was left to his successor Dean Hanly. When the new tower was erected in Meehan Street outside the new church in 1956, the bell was sent for repairs and erected about 1960.
|Address:||103 Meehan Street, St Augustines, Yass, 2582|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.842778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||J.Murphy (Dublin) 1867|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1868 re-erected 1960|
In memoriam Ad Rev Caroli Lovat, Dec qui ab hac luce migravit die 20 Junii AD 1858.