Macneil Memorial ChurchPrint Page
This early 20th century church commemorates Rev. John MacNeil, B.A., the first inducted Presbyterian Minister for Waverley who established the Mill Hill Mission in 1886. Reverend MacNeil died in 1896.
The ceremony of laying two memorial stones in connection with the Macneil Memorial Presbyterian Church, Denison-street, Waverley, was performed on Saturday afternoon. The Moderator, the Rev. Alex. McKinlay, presided, and the stones were laid by Miss M. Harris and Mr. J. D. Rutherford. There was a good attendance of church adherents, and the platform held a representative gathering of Presbyterian clergymen and church officials.
Following addresses by the Moderator and other speakers, Mr. J. D. Rutherford (elder and session clerk) gave an historical sketch of Presbyterianism in the Waverley district. In October, 1885, a commission was given by the Sydney Presbytery for the holding of services in Waverley. The work was taken up by the Revs. Jno. MacNell, Dr. Gilchrist, and Mr. J. D. Rutherford. Services were first held in the Oddfellows' Hall, Waverley, at which 50 Presbyterian families were represented. Eventually a school hall was built, and services were held by the late Rev. J. MacNeil. As there was no Sunday school in the Mill Hill district it was decided to start one, a cowshed being the structure used until the present mission hall was erected and opened by the late Dr. Steel. After the Rev. J. MacNeil left Waverley the church workers of the Mill Hill district took over the financial liabilities of the Mission Hall, and the Rev. Jno. Walker was appointed interim Moderator, the preacher and leader being Mr. Douglas Rutherford. It was then decided to name the church after the Rev. John MacNeil. The new building, it is expected, will seat comfortably 400 persons, and will cost approximately £1500.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 30 October 1905.
|Address:||Ebley & Denison Streets, Bondi Junction, 2022|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.892963|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th October, 1905|