Brother Francis Gatti (Mortuary Chapel) Print Page
The Roman Catholic Memorial Chapel was dedicated as a monument to Brother Francis Gatti in 1892 as a result of his botanical work in Central Park, West End Park (Lambert Park) and the Cemetery.
Some time ago your correspondent briefly alluded to the erection of a mortuary chapel in our cemetery here in Armidale. The chapel, which is of brick with a slate roof, is now completed, and is certainly very creditable to the Catholic people, and a suitable memorial to the late Brother Francis Gatti, whose great desire and ambition during the last two years of his life had been the planting and decorating of the cemetery grounds and the erection of a mortuary chapel in the centre. The deceased Brother, like many other great men, was a man of one idea, and till that idea was carried out into some practical shape, he could scarcely be induced to set his mind and enter heartily into any other scheme. His heart was set on the erection of a handsome and useful mortuary chapel. He discussed the matter with many members of the congregation who were anxious to see the building an accomplished fact, but owing to the many other important works which the Bishop and Dean O'Connor had on hands, the pet scheme of the good Brother had to be laid aside for a time. After the death of Brother Francis, however, the congregation, anxious to erect a memorial to him, and at the same time desirous of carrying out his out expressed wishes, resolved to erect the Mortuary chapel which is now completed. The chapel cost about £320, and will be blessed and opened on the 2nd of November. Mr. P. Kirkwood, of this city, was contractor, while Mr. French was architect, and both gentlemen are to be congratulated on the manner in which the work has been carried out.
Freeman's Journal (Sydney, NSW ), 1 October 1892.
|Address:||Lynches Road, Armidale Cemetery, Armidale, 2350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.529444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr French (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr.P. Kirkwood (Contactor)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1892|
Mortuary Chapel, erected A.D. 1892, in the memory of Brother Francis Gatti, O.S.F.C., who died November 5th, 1891 aged 58 years, R.I.P.