Christopher WilkinsonPrint Page
The altar of the church, and other furniture in the chapel commemorates Christopher Wilkinson.
Christopher Wilkinson was born in England on 16th December 1855. He was educated there and graduated from St. John's College, Cambridge. He was made a deacon of the Church of England at Ripon in 1880, and priest in 1881. His first appointment was as curate at Calverley, 1880-1881, then at U pholland, 1882-1889.
He came to Tasmania the next year and became the incumbent of Emu Bay, moving round the parishes of Wynyard and Burnie.
In 1895 he accepted the position of co-headmaster of the Launceston Church Grammar School with Mr Harry Gillett. The Reverend Wilkinson remained headmaster until 1918. At this time the school was situated at 37 Elizabeth Street, next to St. John's Church. In conjunction with his duties at the school, the Reverend Wilkinson was assistant curate of St. John's. He was appointed acting rector in 1919, between the departure of Canon Baker and the arrival of the Reverend Crotty.
The Wilkinsons had two sons and four daughters, one of the latter, Doris, became headmistress of the Launceston Girls' Grammar School, in Elizabeth Street.
For a time after retirement, the Reverend and Mrs Wilkinson lived with Doris at her school, then the three of them went to where Doris was appointed headmistress, to Darlinghurst Church of England Girls' Grammar School, but in 1926, the Reverend and Mrs Wilkinson moved to Cremorne, Sydney. He died there on 4th May 1929 and she died on 16th August 1937.
Late in 1929, at Holy Trinity Church, Launceston, in recognition of his worthy contribution to the spiritual well-being of so many people in and around Launceston, the chapel furniture was given to his memory.
|Address:||34 Cameron Street, Holy Trinity Church, Launceston , 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.434379|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th October, 1929|
To the glory of God and in memory of Christopher George Wilkinson, Priest
This altar together with other furnishings in this chapel, was erected by his fellow communicants and dedicated on Oct, 20th 1929 by the Lord Bishop of Tasmania