Reverend James LindsayPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the Reverend James Lindsay.
James Lindsay was born on 4th September 1821 in Carmylie, Arbroath, Forfarshire, Scotland. He was early convinced of his vocation and, after education at St. Andrew's College, Glasgow, he qualified for the ministry at the Free Church College, Edinburgh, and was ordained by the Free Church of Scotland.
In 1846 or 1847 a Free Church congregation had been established in Launceston. Services and a Sabbath School began in January 1848 in Bell's Rooms, St. John Street. Henry Reed applied to the Free Church Assembly in Scotland for a minister to be sent to this city, and the Reverend James Lindsay was chosen. He sailed from Leith on Saturday, 16th July 1850 and in December of that year arrived in Launceston to take up his ministry.
The Reverend Lindsay held services in various temporary locations, among them the Wycliffe Chapel, off St John Street, and the Temperance Hall next to the York Street Baptist Chapel. For ten years he strove for the construction of a church and in January 1860 the 'beautiful and commodious' Chalmers Church, in Frederick Street, was opened for worship.
James devoted his whole life to his charge. He was 'a quiet, unobtrusive man respected by all and a supporter of many charitable and philanthropic institutions' of this city. His devotion to his ministry won him the admiration of many, and his influence in the city's affairs was considerable. But his single-minded work brought its penalty and in 1883 he suffered a stroke which incapacitated him. However, in 1887 he insisted upon attending the funeral of his daughter, Mrs George Hogarth, who had died tragically of burns. The tragedy brought on a second stroke, causing his death on Saturday, 16th July 1887 thirty-seven years to the day since his departure from Scotland.
James had married in Scotland and he and his wife, Isabella, had seven children, of whom only three sons survived their father, one living in London and two, David and William, in Launceston. Mrs Lindsay died at the age of 75 on 15th August 1895.
In memory of James a brass tablet was placed in Chalmers Church. When it was closed in 1980 the tablet was removed to the ambulatory of the Pilgrim Church.
|Address:||34 Paterson Street, Pilgrim Uniting Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.436771|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In loving memory of the Rev. James Lindsay
First Minister of this church 1850 to 1885.
Born at Carmylie, Forf Arshire Sept. 4th 1821.
Died at Launceston July 16th 1887.
Relocated from Chalmers Presbyterian Church