Amelia Hollingsworth & Marion WalkerPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Amelia Hollingsworth and Marion Walker who were both teachers at the Sunday School.
Amelia Hollingsworth (Milly) was born in Launceston in 1890, the daughter of William Hollingsworth, blacksmith of Wellington Street, and Amelia, his second wife. William Hollingsworth worked in a blacksmith shop in Elizabeth Street. Milly was brought up in Launceston and, having received a suitable education, engaged herself in the skilful work of dressmaking.
The family attended the Methodist Church in Margaret Street, where Milly was first a pupil at the Sunday School then a teacher. Milly's short life ended on 7th April 1924 when she was 34.
In her memory a marble plaque was erected in the Sunday School which was also dedicated to Milly's friend and co-worker, Marian Walker.
Marian Walker was born on 4th October 1883 one of seven children of Frank Walker, nurseryman of Launceston, and Anne Fortune. Marian was educated in Launceston and assisted in the family nursery and florist business. All the family were active members of the Margaret Street Methodist Church where Marian taught in the Sunday School for several years and supported the work of overseas missions. Descendants of the family continue to attend the Margaret Street Church.
Marian died on 6th November, 1925.
|Address:||Margartet & Balfour Streets, Trinity Uniting (Methodist) Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.445407|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1904|
To the memory of Marion Walker Obit 1925
Milly Hollingsworth Obit 1924
Who from infancy as scholars and latterly as teachers were beloved members of this school.
"In good works abundant"
Erected by the scholars and teachers of this school.