George RowePrint Page
A set of gates commemorate George Rowe, who was rector from 1921 to 1934.
George Rowe was born at Bendigo, Victoria, in 1876, and was educated at the local State school and the Bendigo High School, having won an entry scholarship and also another scholarship to study at the Melbourne University from which he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts. In 1906 George married Isabella Brown Campbell and they had three daughters.
He was ordained deacon in 1908 and priest in 1909. His first appointment was assistant curate at New Town for two years and then in late 1909 was given charge of Lilydale parish until 1913. He was then appointed rector of St. Mark's, Deloraine, for three years. From there he moved to St. John's, Devonport, and in 1921 became rector of St. Paul's, Launceston. With this appointment was the chaplaincy to the Launceston General Hospital. He remained at this parish until his death. In 1926 he was appointed port naval chaplain.
George was very popular among the youth of his parish and was for some years president of St. Paul's Indoor Games Club and St. Paul's Men's Club. In 1927 he joined the Working Men's Club and was elected to the committee. The following year he was made vice-president and the year after was president. Through his work in the church he gave generous service to the community at large. He died at the rectory in Frankland Street on 5th July 1934 aged 58 years.
In his memory in 1937, the parish erected a set of gates at the entrance to St. Paul's Church, which in 1980 were removed and erected at the Chapel of St. Paul by the Sea.
|Address:||196-244 Low Head Road, Ainslie House, St Paul`s by the Sea, Low Head, 7253|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.075461|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1921|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1934|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1937|
In memory of George Rowe
Rector 1921 - 1934.