Reverend Augustus BarkwayPrint Page
A brass lecturn commemorates the Reverend Augustus Barkway.
Augustus Barkway was born in England in 1831 and as a youth he came to Van Diemen's Land. He excelled at his studies and prepared for the ministry at an early age at Christ's College then at Bishopsbourne. He received Holy Orders in 1853 from the Right Reverend Francis Russell Nixon, first Bishop of Tasmania.
The scholastic career of Augustus was very successful and he passed out of Christ's College as one of its fellows - a position of great honour and ability. He was priested the following year.
His first appointment was as curate of the parish of Carrick and Hadspen for two years. He was then incumbent at Fingal until 1858, then took up the rectorship of St. Paul's Church, Launceston. This position he retained until he retired in 1908. St. Paul's began as a mission from St. John's Church. In 1854 it became a parish and due to the efforts of Augustus Barkway and a faithful group of parishioners the first permanent church was opened on 12th May 1861. Augustus took part in the opening of the Launceston General Hospital and was appointed its chaplain. He possessed a fine clerical library, supplemented with many scientific and literary works.
On 3rd October 1855 he married Sarah Florence Wilmer at Christ Church, Longford. She died on 27th May, 1894, aged 63, while kneeling in church during a service conducted by her husband. Augustus died on Easter morning, 27th March 1921 aged 90.
In his memory the parishioners of St. Paul's purchased a sculptured brass lectern.
|Address:||196-244 Low Head Road, Ainslie House, St Paul`s by the Sea, Low Head, 7253|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.078016|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1921|
To the glory of God and in affectionate memory of the Rev. Augustus Barkway for 49 years a faithful priest of this parish.